Chisholm Trail 150th Update
Chisholm Trail Update
Celebrating the 150th birthday of the Chisholm Trail is getting closer and full of fun! I hope everyone will try to fit at least one event into their 2017 plans. The event committee along with the Chamber of Commerce Retail Committee is planning a fun-filled 3-day fest during our annual Chisholm Trail Festival weekend May 5-7, 2017.
Friday Pub Crawl, Poker Tourney, and Ghost Tours…oh my! Saturday Street Dance with Chuck Wagon and Beer Garden…oh my! Gunfight, Saloon Girls, Opera House Shows, Costume & Beard Contests, Kolaches, Target Shoot, Cow Camp, Wagon Rides, pony rides, mud run, Chris Cakes, Food Trucks, Craft Fair, Rut Tours, Country Church, Quilt Show, Barn Quilt Tours, and more…OH MY!!! What a fun time in the old town it will be!
To bring this to reality, we’ll be hosting fundraisers from now through May. Here’s a rundown of current and future fundraising events:
- Buttons will be here soon at local retailers. It’s important to keep track of your button since they’ll be used for DEALS & discounts throughout the year beginning next month!
- Koozies produced by CHS Bluejay Outlet are for sale at various locations and events since last May. We have lots so please support the CT events and buy one! These tall, cool sleeves fit water bottles perfectly.
- T-Shirts: Our first t-shirt design is hot off the press. You’ll find them at Flowers Plus!
- Cowboy Prom Fundraiser– Oct 29, 2016, 7:30-midnight @ Caldwell Community Building. Live band, crowning of Border Queen & Cowboy King. Costumes, vintage prom, cowboy, etc.
- Holiday Paint Party – November 26th @ 8pm. Location TBD. This coincides with Small Business Saturday events, Christmas Bazaar, and CHS Band Poker Tourney Fundraiser.
- Western Weekly Dance lessons – January & February 2017 @ Opera House. Co-sponsored by Caldwell Recreation. Pay as you go. Taught by Dance In Line Studio from Wichita, Ks.
- Commissioned Pottery pieces – Our Craft Fair potter, Isaac Shue, will be making signature pieces exclusive to Caldwell’s Chisholm Trail event to be for sale at our May Fest as well as orders for special large pieces.
What now? Grow your beards. Find western wear or vintage costumes – we want everyone to dress in period costume to relive our Wild West days during the heyday of the Chisholm Trail! Attend fundraising events to support a great year of events. Craft your wares to sell at the May CTF. Volunteer to help—a volunteer opportunity board coming soon for individuals, groups, businesses, and organizations! Sponsor an event.
t takes a village to put on a great fest, and for a village, Caldwell is the best! Stay up to date at our Facebook.com/caldwellchisholmtrailfest page.
Update on Chisholm Trail Cattle Drive: We persuaded the head trail boss in Texas to move the event up by 4-5 weeks so that IF it happens, it will come through Caldwell on MAY 6, 2017!! Our local Trail Boss, Carmen Schultz, will lead the way for us. If you can help provide hay, water, trailers, time, etc., please let us know.